Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Check out this guy

My painting professor posted a link to this artist on facebook today (or maybe yesterday)
I was drawn to the quick and bold mark making.  Maybe you would be interested in looking too.

http://www.edwigefouvry.com/

Also here is part of an interview from Jenny Saville that I saved.  I thought it was interesting to hear about her process a little bit, and the importance of her marks.

Jenny Saville: I have to really work at the tension between getting the paint to have the sensory quality that I want and be constructive in terms of building the form of a stomach, for example, or creating the inner crevice of a thigh. The more I do it, the more the space between abstraction and figuration becomes interesting. I want a painting realism. I try to consider the pace of a painting, of active and quiet areas. Listening to music helps a lot, especially music where there’s a hard sound and then soft breathable passages. In my earlier work my marks were less varied. I think of each mark or area as having the possibility of carrying a sensation. (Extract from ‘Interview with Jenny Saville by Simon Schama

No comments:

Post a Comment